A writer and speaker with a passion for baseball—and helping others overcome shame.
Through the years, Greg has witnessed people struggle with a need to be perfect. Striving to “measure up,” “be good enough,” or “deserve” their accomplishments has created a sense of shame in many people. Bringing out the best in others and helping them become the people they already are in the eyes of God is central to his life’s mission as well as essential for overcoming toxic shame. He hopes that his latest book and speaking will enable people to recover their identity as a child of God and live healthier, happier lives.
Greg has held many diverse (and sometimes overlapping) roles throughout his long career: Episcopal priest, pastoral counselor, adjunct professor, Navy Chaplain, corporate trainer, community engagement leader, as well as holding various sales and marketing positions within Fortune 500 companies. He grew up working with his dad and grandfather in the family’s hardware store in Stillwater, Minnesota (a small farming community).
His passion is baseball, from playing, to watching, to writing about it. His children’s book, Betsy’s Day at the Game, illustrated by Disney illustrator Katherine Blackmore, is a Mom’s Choice (Gold) Award-winning book, endorsed by Penny Marshall. His second book, Swing for the Fences: Show up. Dig in. Suck less. is the winner of an IPPY (Independent Publishers) Silver Medal and is endorsed by Tony Oliva and Joe Schmit, among others.
Greg and his wife, Sally, moved to Nashville in 2015 to form a three-generation family. They live under one roof with their daughter, son-in-law, two children, three cats and a German Shepherd the size of a small truck in Bellevue on land that was once used for rescuing horses. This is their 23rd address. Son, Peter, and his family live in Boston. Sally is a full-time Mormor (a Swedish word for “grandmother”) and Greg is a full-time Papa, part-time soccer coach, writer and sought-after speaker.
Greg in a Nutshell
- B.A. (Bachelor of Arts), Religious Studies, University of Minnesota
- M.Div. (Master of Divinity), Counseling/General Ministry, Yale University
- D.Min. (Doctor of Ministry), Pastoral Counseling/Adventure-Based Therapy, Luther Seminary
- Former Member, American Association of Pastoral Counselors (Board-Certified, Clinical Pastoral Counselor, focus on individuals and families gripped by substance-abuse issues)
- Episcopal Priest (now retired) serving parishes, camps, US Navy, academia
- Author of two critically-acclaimed, award-winning books
- Other: Adjunct College Professor, Certified Ropes Course Instructor, stand-up comic (e.g. Acme, Minneapolis; Minnesota Comedy Club, St. Paul)
Want to hear more from Greg?
Bring Greg's "You Got This" message to your next event! In a world where so many people are carrying the weight of shame, Greg brings desperately needed affirmation and encouragement. Your audience will be inspired to trade their negative self talk for the motivation to show up and claim the success they've always wanted for their lives.